The original Canon Canonet 28 viewfinder camera was launched in 1968.
The later Canonet 28 35mm rangefinder camera is a cheaper consumer version of the famous Canonet QL17. The lens is a fixed 40mm f/2.8 Canon lens. It has fully programmed auto exposure with shutter speeds from 1/30 to 1/600 (shown by the meter's needle in the viewfinder), and manual control of f-stops for flash (f2.8-f16). The film speed range for auto exposure is from 25 to 400 ASA. It uses a Copal leaf shutter and has a coupled rangefinder. It was made in Taiwan.
This Canonet was marketed from 1971 to 1976, and was one of the latest heavyweight compact cameras. By the late '70s, camera construction had begun a rapid change from metals to plastics.
- Manufacturer: Canon
- Year of launch: 1971
- Film: 35mm with speeds 25 to 400 ASA
- Lens: 1:2.8/40mm (5 elements in 4 groups)
- Shutter: programmed shutter with speed/aperture combination 1/30 sec./1:2.8 to 1/620 sec./1:14.5
- Aperture: automatically or manually, 1:2.8 to 1:16
- Viewfinder: bright frame finder with 0.6× magnification, superimposed coupled rangefinder, shutter speed control meter scale and parallax marks
- Metering: CdS photo cell above the lens within the filter ring (EV 8 to 17 at film speed ASA 100). The shutter is locked when the meter indicates over- or under-exposure
- Battery: 1.35 V battery type PX625
- Film advance: Lever, exposure counter, rewind unlock button, and rewind crank
- Flash: hot shoe with second contact allows usage of Canolite D flash in automatic exposure mode. Other types of flashes may need an adapter and can be used only with 1/30 sec. shutter speed with manual aperture setting
- Dimensions 125×75×61mm
- Weight: 550g
- Photoethnography's Canonet 28 page
- the other Martin Taylor's Canon 28
- Lionel's Canon New Canonet 28 overview at 35mm-compact.com
- Canon Canonet 28 at Sylvain Halgand's www.collection-appareils.fr
- Canon Canonet 28 on Interno in bakelite
- User Manual on Kar Yan Mak & Henry Taber's kyphoto.com
- User Manual on Mike Butkus' site
We also sell film so make sure to add some to your order with no extra charge for shipping!
Overall condition - Excellent
Example photos can be found here - https://www.lomography.com/cameras/3330181-canon-canonet-28/photos
This camera has been cleaned, mechanically tested and is in full working condition. Light seals are replaced when necessary.
- We gladly accept returns within 30 days of delivery or pick up if the item arrives defective outside of the detailed conditions when purchased or if any initial defects are present upon receiving the item. For this warranty to be effective the item must be returned directly to us with no third party involved.