Pentax Spotmatic SP SLR film camera with a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55mm f:2 lens, Pentax lens cap, case base, and camera strap!
The Spotmatic SP was introduced by Asahi Optical Company in 1964, and was one of the first 35mm SLR cameras with through-the-lens light metering. The camera was entirely mechanical apart from the light meter, which was powered by a 1.35 volt PX400 mercury cell. Mercury batteries are now banned but Zinc-Air batteries can be used instead, or it is possible to carry out a minor modification to the meter circuit to allow the use of 1.55 volt 387S silver-oxide batteries.
A small switch on the (photographer's) left side of the lens housing was pushed up to stop down the lens and activate the meter; the exposure controls would then be adjusted to center a needle on the right edge of the viewfinder. The body took lenses with an M42 screw thread, providing a large range of available lenses. The system became the workhorse of many professionals of the period.
- Type: SLR body
- Manufacturer: Asahi Optical Co.
- Year of launch: 1964
- Films: 35mm, speeds up to 1600 ASA
- Viewfinder: pentaprism eye-level viewfinder
- Lens Mount: Pentax/Praktica screwmount (M42)
- Shutter: Focal plane shutter, speeds 1 - 1/1000 second, flash sync 1/60 second
- Metering: CdS TTL metering (stopped-down manual match-needle metering system) EV 1.7 ~ 18 (ISO 100) ASA range 20-1600 (on original Spotmatic)
~Perfect for a beginner through to professionals!
Overall condition - Great condition - slight wear and tear (see photos) - 8.5/10
~Example photos can be found here
~Camera manual can be found here
~Film for this camera can be found here
This camera has been cleaned, mechanically tested and is in full working condition. Light seals are replaced when necessary.
- We gladly accept returns within 30 days of delivery or pick up if the item arrives defective outside of the detailed conditions when purchased or if any initial defects are present upon receiving the item.